Kalyn's Black bean chili

This is my mother and father in law. They are the best in the world! They are very selfless and full of love for others. When we held our Pumpkin Carving Party my father in law said "maybe someone will make black beans"... That got me thinking and I thought of course there would be black beans but how and what would I make.
So I went on a hunt to find something that I thought that he would like. I didn't want to just serve him plain black beans, although plain black beans would please him I wanted to make something that he would enjoy eating. One of my most favorite places to find great recipes is at foodgawker.com and it was here that I found Kalyn's Ktichen and the best Black bean chili recipe I have ever tasted! It has Cilantro and Limes
I have to admit that I am NOT a lime person! Not at all! so when I found this recipe I was really hesitant but I knew that my father in law would love it. (or I hoped he would) So I purchased all the ingredients and fixed it. Well, It was a success! I had made only one recipe but it was the first one to be eaten at our party.
Here it is in my small crock pot... it was gone in about 45 minutes. Everyone loved it. So when my husband asked me to make it for his work I was very happy to do so. He said that they were having a Chili cook off and he thought that this recipe would be a great one to enter into the contest.
So I gathered the ingredients and made another pot of chili and guess what! Out of the 14 different chili dishes there were at my husbands work he came in 3rd place! I was so happy to hear that, I do not ever remember coming in third place on anything. Well there was no prize for third place but just getting there out of 14 was enough recognition all by its self! I was so happy he got third place.

Here is the recipe that I made, I changed a couple things but the recipe is basically the same. For the original recipe check it out here 

 Black bean chili with lime and cilantro

2 large onions finely chopped
2 tsp oil or more if needed
1 lb. Ground Turkey 
1 quart beef stock simmered and reduced to 2 cups 
3 cans 15oz. Black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can 15oz refried pinto beans
2 cans 14.5oz Petite dice tomatoes
2 T dried cilantro
2-3 T chile powder (I used home grown and dried chile powder that my brother in law made)
1 T ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice plus sliced limes to add to done chili
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus a little more for garnish

First in a sauce pan start beef broth to boiling to reduce to two cups. In separate pan while broth is reducing heat oil and cook onions until done and just before they turn brown remove from pan and add to crock pot. Next brown turkey meat in same pan breaking up meat as it cooks to small bits and add to onions when done. Next rinse beans in a colander until water runs clear then add to crock pot. Next check broth and when reduced to two cups add in refried beans and mix well, next add the dried cilantro, chile powder, cumin and tomates to beef broth and mix well. Pour broth mix into the crock pot and add 1/2 cup cilantro and then mix all ingredients together. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Have extra limes and cilantro for garnish when done.

Comments

  1. Awesome success...can't say we are big bean fans in this house...but sounds like you are surrounded by them,. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry about the comment verification but I have been getting tons of spam. Thank you for your comments I love them

Popular posts from this blog

DIY can food organizer

One Thousand Gifts